Tuesday 3 July 2012

The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow (8)


On returning to school for the final term, my friend and coworker Mrs Rabess suggested putting on a Musical, namely ‘Annie’, something Pioneer had not done before. Of course, being the theatre loving type I was more than enthusiastic, and took on the project whole heartedly. Even with experience directing and performing at school and the local AmDram theatre, I don’t think I was quite prepared for the amount of work required.

I set to work straight away auditioning 60 keen students. Next was the role of casting director, where I whittled down the talent to just 30 of the best that Pioneer had to offer. Unknowingly, but predictably, the children chosen were all drama queens - hence the fun that was to be had over the next month! With 30 girls wanting to take the lead and have their chance to shine, the task was tiring. Rehearsals started straight away, meanwhile I edited and reedited an already edited version of the script and found the sheet music for the various songs. I then set about directing, choreographing, teaching the songs, arranging backing tracks, deciding on staging, painting a set, making and organising costumes. I was also my own secretary and was constantly disturbing parents with phone calls and texts to ensure rehearsals were attended and everybody knew what was going on. On top of all that I had the difficult task of keeping 30 drama queens quiet - “Girls quiet please”, “Stop talking”, “Silence in 3..2..1” became my catchphrases! 

Rather quickly, performance day arrived. To tell you the truth, I was worried. It was a lot to ask for all those children to sit for a whole hour and keep quiet, and then also remember to go on stage at the right time with the right props and remember the right lines and songs and dances and positions. From 8am-2pm I was on my feet making sure everything was organised and easy for my last minute stagehands to follow, and running a final tech/dress rehearsal on the stage that had been built the night before. 2.30pm and the excited girls started to arrive, costumes were put on and nerves started to rise. We warmed up, we prayed and we tried to keep calm. 
And then it was time to start, and from the outset the girls did superbly. They really did a fantastic job and I couldn’t be more proud. All the stress was definitely worth it. Parents were truly shocked at what we had achieved and everybody’s expectations were exceeded. They were so impressed by the professionality and want to take it to the main theatre in town and make it into a big, professional show. Not only that but they were so pleased that the children had the opportunity to showcase the talents that they have. The theatrical and vocal training, and experience on a stage was a first for most (if not all) of the cast, and I believe it will be a stepping stone for greater things; there are certainly some children there who could be big stars in the future. Wherever they end up, I hope they remember the first time they trod the boards in 'Annie' and the theatre electives with Miss Ellie. 

 At times it was a challenge but it was an incredible experience and I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to run such a project. The experience was invaluable and unforgettable and I think that goes for me, the girls and the school.











1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you Ellie - wish we could have been there to see it and hope there's some video footage. Well done! You are a total star and it is wonderful that you have made these girls feel like stars too. Lots of love Mum xx

    ReplyDelete