Saturday 9 June 2012

Dominica does the Diamond Jubilee

As much as I love DA, being here has certainly made me more patriotic. I've realised how much I love England, and especially London. My Cath Kidson London mug from Lucy Rowlanes, and my Union Jack fan from Sophie Giles take pride of place on my countertop, displayed with pride. 

With my new found patriotism, it was sad to be away from home during the Jubilee celebrations. Despite Dad's anti-royalist grumpiness, I would have been sure to get involved with all the frivolities. I would have been in the kitchen making Jubilee cupcakes, Union Jack pavlovas and cucumber sandwiches, and a BBQ on the street would have gone down a treat too. And I didn't get to fully appreciate the Queen's cuteness with the minimal clips from Youtube, I craved the wonderful BBC coverage of the whole event. 

But still, living with the Honorary British Counsul I was able to take an active role in arranging some sort of celebration to coincide with the Jubilee. With Liz's love for the Commonwealth, we decided to get Dominica involved and organised a ceremony to take place in the Gardens, at the Pavillion which we repainted for the occassion. And set up a beacon to be lit in Morne Bruce in view from the Gardens, to join with the other 4000 being lit around the Commonwealth. With inspiration from the fantastic Gareth Malone I started a choir at Pioneer Prep and auditioned over 60 enthusiastic children. Those I chose worked really hard on the rather tricky Commonwealth Anthem and were so excited by the prospect of performing. 


With rather rushed, last minute line learning with the added difficulty of long words like 'servitude',  'conscience' and 'inhuman', and the disappearance of our accompanying Cadet Band, I have to admit I was nervous. And my nerves were nothing compared to the girls, standing infront of the President, the acting PM and various other important minister types, they were shaking like leaves. But, they were brilliant. I was, and still am, so proud. They did Pioneer, Dominica and the Commonwealth proud, and sang like angels. 

I dressed up as best I could in Union Jack colours and gave the girls Union Jack's to wave - just to make me feel more at home! I sang the British National Anthem and felt very British, and yes, I loved it. 

The girls enjoyed themselves too. And their appearances on the TV and the newspaper has made them feel like celebrities. I hope it gave them a feel of the global community and their involvement in the worldwide celebrations, and also that it'll make a lasting memory of their British teacher! 



Proud, patriotic choir director, over and out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment