Wednesday 29 February 2012

Time flies when you're having fun :)

Well keeping up to date on my blog is failing miserably, but I guess it shows just how busy I am and that I must be having fun because time is truly flying by - I barely have time to wash my clothes! 
I haven’t blogged in a whole month - so as you can guess plenty things have happened. Most noticeably, I’ve caught onto the Dominican accent and their specific phrases (awa, plenty, you check, tebes, oui, nah man, fings, lickle, vexed, to name a few). After a week in Aiya Napa last summer I came home talking like a northerner, so 7 weeks here was clearly going to have an effect.

So what has actually happened? 
On 1st February I went to a meeting with the President’s Secretary and various Ministers and important people, to perform the Commonwealth Anthem. It now turns out I’ll be singing it again, to be broadcast on Dominican Radio, as part of the celebrations for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. 
I spent a lot of the following week in true volunteer style - painting, cleaning and furnishing a derelict house, which has now been officially opened as a Wellness Centre for the Cancer Society. It’ll be a place for patients and their families to stay during treatment at the nearby hospital.
The weekend before last was Carnival - which is not particularly well regarded by the church and Christians in general across Dominica tend to stay away. I managed to have a glimpse though, as I was part of Pioneer Carnival at school - the day was lovely and the kids were so excitable. It really created a community atmosphere and showcased some very talented pupils and teachers - from calypso singer-songwriters, to stilt dancers and pageant princesses. 


During Carnival I went on camp with around 50 youth from the church, and actually probably had more fun and fulfillment than Carnival could have provided. I met some truly inspiring people and can add them all to my extended international family. It made me realise that coming to Dominica must be part of God's plan for me. Out of all the places in the world, I chose this tiny island and travelled thousands of miles from home to a place I knew nothing about and live with people I’d never met before, and I have found myself surrounded by some incredible people. Sorry that was cheesy, but I’m a little cheese deprived - you can only really get fake orange red leicester here. 

This weekend Tina treated Jane to a trip to Les Saintes, for her birthday. Me, Miriam & Ben got to come along too and we got to be real tourists for the day. Les Saintes is a cluster of tiny tiny islands, which are part of Guadeloupe and so, French, and it is seriously beautiful and sure to make those of you suffering cold and miserable England, insanely jealous. There were a few mishaps to dampen the greatness of the trip though... 
Number 1: The 3 hour boat trip in mad winds resulted in the boat rocking all over the place so much so that the chairs and benches slid everywhere. The obvious and horrific consequence of these irrational motions is sea sickness, and boy did I get it bad. 
Number 2: The inevitable consequence of basking in the glorious sun, is sunburn. Although my back and shoulders were sore that evening - they do seem to simply be a beautiful brown colour now. But, my scalp is another matter, this is my debut burnt scalp. I have so much sympathy for all those gingers who suffer such pain on regular occasions! 

I’ve completed settled in now and feel very much a part of the extended Alexander family, despite missing everyone at home - I don’t really have time to be lonely or homesick. I am constantly smiling, and people have already caught on that I laugh too much!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you've been so busy!! (No post yet for April as well, haha) I'm glad to hear your enjoying yourself over there, looking forward to hear you speak!!!!
    Congrats (and suppose good luck) for the broadcasting! I wish I'm there to hear it...
    Hope you had fun with P&G ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fun reading about your exploits! Tell us more!

    ReplyDelete